A full day day river adventure teaching you the skills, safety knowledge and trip planning know-how to confidently undertake your own stand up paddleboard adventures with an ASI accredited SUP school.
Ready to take your SUP skills to the next level?
If you’ve already learned the basics on one of our Learn to SUP or SUP Safari sessions and would like to develop your skills (including wild SUP yoga!)and learn more about trip planning and SUP rescue techniques whilst enjoying a 10k paddle adventure on the beautiful River Avon then this is the session for you!
NEW: Get 10% discount on hot drinks and delicious lunches after your paddle from our pals at Revills Farm Shop situated right next to us!
Stand up For Nature
Every ticket sold contributes towards our regular donations to the local Kemerton Conservation Trust; the custodians of our beautiful local landscape and its wildlife. Together we will stand up for nature.
Activity duration: approximately 7hrs.
Trip location: Arden Sailing Club to the Deer Orchard Retreat in Comberton (and return)
Ages 16+ (under 18s with a guardian).
Maximum group size of 8
All participants must be able to swim 50m and paddle competently (see below).
Cost: £75 per person
What you'll need
- To have completed our Learn to SUP or SUP safari (or similar)
- To be able to go from kneeling to standing, standing to kneeling, have awareness of the 5 phases of the paddle stroke (entry, catch, power, exit, recovery), to be able to perform a self-rescue, to be able to paddle 10k (Absolutely not looking for perfection here, we'll be there to help and guide you all the way and you'll be in safe hands at all times).
- The water temp is currently very acceptable but you may want to bring a wetsuit (or rashie/leggings) as we will encourage you to take a dip and challenge yourself with some exercises. (Nothing is compulsory of course, but we will encourage you to get as much learning experience as possible so you have the tools in your locker for those independent adventures)
- We’ll provide all your standard SUP and safety gear as usual
- Bring a light lunch with you that we can pop in a dry bag for a halfway refuel (we'll bring some cakes too)!
What you'll learn
- Improve your SUP paddle technique with an ASI Technical Coach
- Generate more power for less effort and minimise injury risk on longer trips
- Learn how to rescue or assist a fellow paddler in various scenarios
- Learn about essential gear; what to take and what to leave behind .
- Understand the importance of weather, wind and water conditions in trip planning
- Learn about water access rights, craft licencing and water quality
- Learn the safe procedures to portage across locks and navigate rivers
- Everything you need to confidently plan your own flat water SUP adventures
What you'll be doing
- Arrivals, coffees, waivers, high fives and making sure everyone is kitted out appropriately
- We kit you out with your paddle, board and safety gear
- An on-land briefing to run over the session plan and revisit some basic skills
- We’ll set off upriver, enjoying the wildlife, working on our paddle technique and generally having a lovely time. Along the way, we’ll share some top trip planning tips and take time to discuss everybody’s individual SUP goals.
- There will be a few teaching points when we reach the sluice and lock at Nafford and head off down the subsidiary that leads to the weir. Not only is this a fun little diversion it also gives us the opportunity to practice a safe portage across the weir to the other side.
- After a brief exploration of the sunken narrowboat we’ll head through the gap and back out onto the river before deer spotting on our way to our mid-point, a beautiful, private space, just for us.
- We’ll stop for a well earned rest, bite to eat, a hot (or ice cold) drink and a slice of cake (or brownie) or two under a willow tree before we discuss kit, planning resources and introduce the SUP rescue techniques and then learn the art of towing via a towing race! This is great fun and a very useful skill for your SUP safety skills locker.
- Time to get back on our boards and explore the art of wild SUP yoga before going with the flow via the portage point at the weir and back to base for pivot turn and board flip practice time! Ending with a hot shower, a debrief and a warming mug of Alex's famous ginger and lemon tea before you are set free to go off and confidently plan your own independent SUP adventures!